[ale] Apache scaling on virtual directories

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Fri Sep 8 13:03:45 EDT 2000

[...]

    Dan> I have been playing with the mod_auth_ora8 module for apache
    Dan> which lets you authenticate a user against an oracle
    Dan> database.  I have that working.  The problem is that it's
    Dan> either all or nothing the way it is right now - we can
    Dan> authenticate the student is in a class and they get access to
    Dan> all lists, or none at all.

    Dan> What I was going to do is modify the script that creates the
    Dan> mailing lists and /etc/aliases entries to also create a bunch
    Dan> of <Directory></Directory> entries for apache's access.conf
    Dan> file.

        Use mod_perl to write an authen handler.  You'd set the
handler up just on the top level archive directory and not on the
individual directories.  The handler would then look at what subdir
the request was for to determine if access would be allowed.

    Dan> Given the number of entries I was a bit worried if Apache
    Dan> would die a horid death by doing this.  Has anyone done
    Dan> something on this level before?

        1300 probably is well within its limits, I'd think.  You might
search on www.apacheweek.com for anecdotal verification.

678 443-6239(w)       |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=