[ale] next stupid ipchains question

Wandered Inn esoteric at atlnet.com
Thu Sep 7 16:14:14 EDT 2000

Joe Knapka wrote:

> Wandered Inn wrote:

> > I don't see how changing it from masq to accept would stop the
> > communication all together.  I would expect that if there is a routing
> > problem, it would cause problems either way.
>
> Now that I think about it, I don't either. If the firewall
> machine was the default gateway for both subnets, it should
> work either way.

Actually, the router is not the default gateway for both subnets.
Here's the layout:

INTERNET <-ppp0-> firewall_a <-> net_1 <-> router_in_question <-> net_2

So, I'm trying to 'un-masq' communication between net_1 and net_2, since
firewall_a does masq as well.  The default route for firewall_a is my
isp, but there is a specific route defining router_in_question as the
gateway to net_2.  All machines on net_2 have router_in_question as
their default route.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

Microsoft != Innovation