[ale] Next Generation Linux Machine

Eric Z. Ayers eric.ayers at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 5 20:42:17 EDT 2000

You can still buy serial ports for these boxes.

I've just installed an  extra 2 serial ports on a PCI card in a
case where I needed 4 in one computer.  It's made by "Lava"

http://www.lavalink.com

These 2 ports share an interrupt but are based on the tried and true
16550A UART.  I have a script that you can use to configure them at boot time
based on the output of lspci if you're interested.

ftp://ftp.compgen.com/pub/gnu/lavaserial-1.0.0.tar.gz
  or in RPM format if you prefer
ftp://ftp.compgen.com/pub/gnu/lavaserial-1.0.0-1.noarch.rpm

I think this card is 30-40 bucks.

-Eric.