[ale] Next Generation Linux Machine

Douglas Knudsen dtk at math.ufl.edu
Tue Sep 5 19:40:42 EDT 2000

On Tue, 05 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> Recently, Myself and a a colleague of mine came to the harsh realization that
> newer machines are coming with no ISA slots and some with no serial or parallel
> ports. Although Linux will boot and run on these machines fine as servers, this
> presents a problem when doing desktop environments because the pci world is a
> bit different than the ISA world in the case of modems and sound cards.
>
> Can anyone recommend solutions to the following:
>
> 1) a $5-$15 pci 16bit sound card that is supported under linux?  I know that
> the Sound Blaster Live! Value edition is supported and it costs about $30 but
> is the el cheapo market just out of luck?

I use the Ensoniq AudioPCI, now called something slightly different under
Creative as Ensoniq sold their computer sound division to Creative, IIRC.  It
works fine on my Slack box and the last I checked, it ran about $20 at Egghead
but about $30 at BestBuy.  Oh, it is 32bit.  I'm not a PCI wizard, but I
thought PCI cards were 32bit not 16bit?

--
Cheers!

"Nuclear war would really set back cable."
                -- Ted Turner

"Guns don't kill people, physics does!"
John Lithgow, 3rd Rock from the Sun      <--thanks giancarlo

Got Linux?  http://www.linuxmall.com