[ale] wu-ftpd & inetd

Frank Zamenski fzamenski at voyager.net
Tue Sep 5 17:00:25 EDT 2000

New install of RH 6.2, picked workstation option. It looked like it
installed everything on the CDROM, but I guess it didn't, as I went to ftp
into the box from Win, and couldn't. Well okay, no ftpd running,
dunno why, I guess it was the ws install and maybe RH figured I didn't want
it. Wrong. Whatever. Okay, got new bugfixed (for now) wu-ftpd, went to
install, thought it'd fire up it's own daemon then. Nope, it wouldn't
install, it complained no inetd running! Jeesh. I thought all nix ran that
by default for gosh sakes! Ran Linuxconfig both at cmnd ln and in X (damn,
that thing is buggy with crashes, are they going to ever fix that??), there
weren't any inetd nor (of course) ftpd nor wu-ftpd ps's to even start! Yet,
it let me config what looks like is the orig wu-ftp from the CD. So it did
load? (Or was I only setting up cfg files?) But, I can't find it, thus can't
start it. Or install the new wu without inetd running. Which it won't, cause
I can't find inetd either. I don't recall having this grief with RH 6.0 nor
6.1. What's going on here? Admin error? Or is the new installer starting to
act like MS?

Thanks again.
-fgz