[ale] installed VMWare

Frank Zamenski fzamenski at voyager.net
Tue Sep 5 15:52:00 EDT 2000

I installed VMWare 2.02 on a fresh RH 6.2 install with Xfree 3.3.6 (on my
brother's bad-ass all SCSI everything Athlon super-tower), put in NT4 as the
guest OS. Fairly straight forward, although it took seemingly forever for NT
to install! I was delighted that NT found it's own SCSI drivers and
everything else with no intervention on my part, as well as the network with
very little coaxing. Put SP5 on, all works reasonably well and is quite
entertaining to use. :)

Questions about vmware-toolkit. Per VMWare website, once toolkit was a
separate floppy, but is now apparently in the ~6MB vmware archive itself,
and can be found as /usr/lib/vmware/floppies/linux.flp, ~1,470,000 bytes. I
used several image write to diskette techniques (found here) to get that to
diskette for comparison, which creates a gz file of ~1,350,000 bytes size
consistently (not on that machine at present). Installing that from diskette
under tmp, then extracting, gives the actual file to use the included pl
install script on. Per VMWare, you then run it, open X (I use Gnome), start
the VM session, start the guest OS, pick settings--> install tools. And it
fails, nothing happens, no messages, nothing. The initial problem is,
running toolkit delivers a msg "must run in a VM". Huh? Tried as both root
and the owner of the NT VM. (Root is permissible, and is preferable per the
doc). Tried opening VM first, then opened a term and ran toolkit. Same
error. Going by the doc. Tried turning off settings--> install tools,
restarting, etc. What's happening here? Did I get the complete fileset from
the floppy? Corruption? Maybe I need a better command set to write that out
first... suggestions?

Also, while tools is in tmp, it installs under X11R6 dir, that is in paths,
checked it.

Assuming I can get this working, I'm supposed to then get more than 16 color
res in WinNT VM. But it is supposed to also create a tools icon in the MS
lower-right toolbar (it's not there yet of course), where I guess I go into
that for higher resolutions as opposed to choosing the vid card in NT (which
currently is just VGA), correct? Or, do I also need to install the correct
vid driver in NT, too? And finally, will it speed up the draws? And, if so,
is it tools that will do it, or, the correct driver within NT (if required),
or, both?

Lots of questions, lots of thanks.
Frank Z.