Multi-drop PPPoE (Re: [ale] Mindspring/Earthlink DSL and linu x?)

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Sep 5 15:06:22 EDT 2000

> One curiosity that I have on hand but have yet to use is a 3com 3C515 - an
> ISA-bus 10/100 card.  I get the feeling that trying to run that card at
> 100base-TX would be bumping up against a bus limitation...

I seem to recall that you can't reach the theoretical limit on the ISA bus.
The maximum theoretical throughput for a 100base-Tx card is 10MB/sec. However,
in practice you rarely get this throughput due to other traffice on the subnet.
But even if you can get only 5Mb/sec on the machine, that's still better than
even the theoretical maximum of a 10Mb ethernet card which is only 1MB/sec.

Vernard