[ale] [ale-admin] (no subject)

Jeff Hubbs jhubbs at telocity.com
Sun Sep 3 23:25:25 EDT 2000

You were there?  Cool!
I was thinking that perhaps the Emory student center might have been
the best place to do it at Emory but not the best place to do it in Atlanta.
Besides, that was two years ago; Linux awareness has spread a lot since
then.
If you did an Installfest at a mall, you'd have people there killing
time anyway, whereas at Emory people had things to do, you know?
If you make an all-day thing of it on a weekend, people might see what
was going on, go home, grab their computers, and come back later.
hirsch at zapmedia.com wrote:
Jeff Hubbs writes:
 > About two years ago, an Installfest at Emory marked my bigtime
entry into Linux.  I
 > had installed it maybe three times before that, but the IBM
Thinkpad I had was a
 > tougher nut than I was capable of cracking at the time.
I think Jim Kinney was
 > there.  I still have the LUGE Red Hat 5.1 CD I was given
that day.

 > Anyway, it was a marvelous thing to see and I certainly encourage
the practice.
Oh man.  I'm glad that that installfest was useful to someone.
As I
recall we only did about 2 or 3 installs that day, and no one seemed
very interested.  After reading about everyone else's inspirational
installfests it was quite a letdown.
Thanks for letting me know it wasn't all wasted energy.  That made
my
day--or rather night.
--Michael