[ale] Re: was -- Multi-drop PPPoE.... -- now 386-486 sx/dx - and more OT

Jeff Hubbs jhubbs at telocity.com
Sun Sep 3 19:04:39 EDT 2000

I remember from one of my GT microprocessors classes (taught by the inimitable
John Peatman, who is still there and is one of the nicest instructors I ever met
in all of my years of academia) that one manufacturer "technique" was to take
CPUs that had, say, failed the test of its onboard RAM and, presto-chango!  It
would go out into the world with its RAM disabled as the onboard-RAM-less
version!

A similar process went into sorting out CPUs by speed - failed the test at
16MHz?  Poof!  It's the 8MHz version!

- Jeff