Multi-drop PPPoE (Re: [ale] Mindspring/Earthlink DSL and linux?) -- 386-486 sx/dx

Joe Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 3 16:20:08 EDT 2000

Frank Zamenski wrote:

> Some of those 386DX mobos also had an additional socket for the 387 mathco.
> Did/does having one of those onboard eliminate the need to compile kernel
> FPU
> emulation? I don't know myself.

Right. If you have a 386 with the companion FPU
chip, you can use a kernel without FPU emulation. I expect few
such systems actually have the FPU installed, tho.

I believe the 386 and 486 SX will both accept either the
80287 or 80387 FPU chips. I also remember hearing
that the chips marketed as 486SX were actually 486DX
chips that had the on-chip FPU disabled, and that chips
marketed as 80487 mathcos were actually fully-functional
486DX chips.

-- Joe

*** Joseph Knapka ***
In any formula, constants (especially those obtained from handbooks)
are to be treated as variables.