[ale] User restrictions

Scott Nolde smnoldelinux at mediaone.net
Sun Sep 3 09:37:22 EDT 2000

Stuffed Crust wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 01:01:19PM -0400, Scott Nolde wrote:
> > On a RH6.2 system, how do I restrict logged in users from seeing
> > anything outside their ~/user directory?
>
> If you don't trust them that much, don't give them an account.  Seriously.
>
> you could chroot the shell they use, but then you'll break a LOT of
> things, especially if you want to let them actually _do_ anything.
>
>  - Pizza
> --
> Solomon Peachy                                        pizza at cc.gatech.edu
> I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent.                        +1(404)294-6978
> Patience comes to those who wait.                            ICQ #1318344
>     ...It's not "Beanbag Love", it's a "Transanimate Relationship"...

Mandrake-Linux had a 'secure' install which gave users access to only
their home directories.  They had access to all the shell commands and
mail, too.  So, what special configuration is being used for that?

- Scott

--
Never do Windows again with  |  Scott M. Nolde
Linux!  No streaks, haze or  |  smnoldelinux at mediaone.net
glaze!                       |
9:35am up 2 days, 12:36, 1 user, load average: 1.39, 1.12, 1.04