[ale] sparc modem problem

Armsby John-G16665 John.Armsby at motorola.com
Tue Oct 31 15:10:23 EST 2000

I am running REDHAT 6.2 on a sparc 10.

I have been using successfully kpp and the ppd,options,chat, etc etc. to dial mindspring successfully from intel linux. I have connected a u.s. robotics courrier everything external modem to the sparc.  I have successfully used this modem with intel linux.

I can not get kppp or chat script to get the modem to dial.  I CAN get minicom to initialize the modem and dial. Minicom utilizes whatever default magical setup string it has to ge the modem to work.  Both my kppp and chat efforts to initialize the modem and get an OK back FAIL.  I have tried:

ATZL2	The kpp log prints TZL2	this setup string works with my intel internal courier everything u.s. robotics on linux 6.1.
ATZ	The kppp log prints TZ
AT	the kppp log prints T
AATZ	The kppp log prints ATZ
AAT	The kppp log prints AT
ATZ .........  The set up string from minicom which is long and involved  	The kppp log shows the string up to the first white space.
"ATZ........"  The set up string from minicom with quotes around it.	         	The kppp log shows the string in its entirety.

The modem just hangs there during the initialization. NO OK is returned.

This is my ppp.chatscript which I have tried with various set up strings to no avail.
ABORT BUSY
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT VOICE
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
""   ATZL2
OK   ATDP4046541300
ogin mycoollogin
assword mycoolpassword

/var/log/messages tells me the chat script failed when I use chat OR "fail" when I invoke kppp.

When I do an INTEL modem query from kppp, kppp puts u.s. robotics in one of the ATI fields. When I do a modem query from the kppp sparc, I get  AE0Q1Vat1.
What ever THAT is.

I am pretty sure I have correctly identified the device /dev/modem as ttyS0 and the symbolic link is good.

Any help would be appreciated.

John