[ale] bleeding edge (was why so difficult)

Stephen Pellicer spellicer at 8thlayer.net
Sun Oct 29 13:56:56 EST 2000

On Sat, Oct 28, 2000 at 10:06:50PM -0500, jiin wrote:
> Bleeding edge stuff? hell I am just trying to play mp3's on my box. If
> thats bleeding edge then your sadly behind.

It was an error and fixed by simply updating with the RedHat Network.
For a radically new glibc things went relatively smoothly. Show me an
OS that had no hiccups in a .0 release.

> as to the other points :
>
> winblows sux but when you get an update you never have to remove libs to
> update an app.

And the alternative is the .DLL hell that windows takes on. These
libraries are meant to save space and resources. It is easy to do the
same thing in a *nix environment but it leaves to the software bloat
and longer development cycles (if you choose to reimplement library
calls directly in your app as opposed to using a shared library). So
which complaint should a Linux distro field?

> Look I am a linux fan and user for over 3 years .. but I think the distros
> can do a better job of updating their software. If you think not then I
> suggest you try compiling an app with no gcc support. install linux without
> the gcc development libs and your screwed. < as I found out>

You don't need the development library. Most distros package binaries
for you. It takes longer than just grabbing the originals and
compiling but it's easier. The glibc update (that fixes the xmms
problems) was posted October 9. And if I'm not mistaken xmms still ran
it just hung up when exiting (I'm not sure on that point, that's what
it did for me.)

Stephen