[ale] bleeding edge (was why so difficult)

Agent Durga durga at burntmedia.org
Sun Oct 29 07:13:56 EST 2000

On Sat, 28 Oct 2000, jiin wrote:

> Bleeding edge stuff? hell I am just trying to play mp3's on my box.

-mp3s, while a great compromise between quality and file size, are still
worthless and unless you own a copy of an album containing the tracks, are
illegal....but i'm very anti-mp3 but it's simply because I have a fairly
large music collection....and have spent quite a bit of money on it...

> winblows sux but when you get an update you never have to remove libs to
> update an app.

-yep...and every time that new update has a new error or crashes for "no
apparrent reason" $50 says it's because some update didn't replace
something or is expecting an update elsewhere...i'd rather do it then deal
with the problems of a "general" update under windows any day...

> but I think the distros
> can do a better job of updating their software.

-i haven't upgraded to SuSE 7.0 yet, but so far, I have been *extremely*
happy with their packaging...the price is beyond reasonable when i examine
how much comes standard....if you aren't satisfied with the frequency of
updates, then write a program that will search for the most recent
update...windows and macs both have this feature in some way or another,
so be the person that makes it possible for linux users...

otherwise, don't complain...

> I dont mean to be the voice of doom here but linux needs to get its stuff
> together if we are going to make a run at the idiots market.

-why would you want to even get the idiot market?...linux *isn't* easy
when compared with windows or macs, but over time things become second
nature....think of the "dumb" questions those users already have with
their operating system...can you imagine trying to walk them through
editing their httpd.conf file with vi or emacs?.....

i didn't think so....linux is an operating system for people that want to
get under the hood....and that's a dangerous ability to give a user that
doesn't know what they are doing...

-drew

--
   The best book on programming for the layman is "Alice in Wonderland";
     but that's because it's the best book on anything for the layman.