[ale] bleeding edge (was why so difficult)

Scott Nolde smnoldelinux at mediaone.net
Sat Oct 28 20:24:50 EDT 2000

jiin wrote:

> Bleeding edge stuff? hell I am just trying to play mp3's on my box. If
> thats bleeding edge then your sadly behind.
>
> as to the other points :
>
> winblows sux but when you get an update you never have to remove libs to
> update an app.
>
> Look I am a linux fan and user for over 3 years .. but I think the distros
> can do a better job of updating their software. If you think not then I
> suggest you try compiling an app with no gcc support. install linux without
> the gcc development libs and your screwed. < as I found out>
>
> I dont mean to be the voice of doom here but linux needs to get its stuff
> together if we are going to make a run at the idiots market. I know .. some
> purists think the desktop is unimportant .. but I have news .. it is if you
> want to increase desktop users.
>
> jiin

I've been tinkering with some fundamental FreeBSD 4.1 and have found it
exceptionally simple to install or upgrade packages or ports.
Everything comes in a tarball, but simpler yet to install a package just
type 'make install' in the port directory and it will dl the src, any
dependencies, compile them, and then install them with one command.
Uninstalling software is just as simple.  Of course, there is also
pkg_add, too, to install stuff.

I don't think I'm ready to ditch Linux just yet, as I'm very familiar
with using it.  However, only debian's apt-get has something remotely
similar to FreeBSD's software installation.  I'm certainly gonna do more
with FreeBSD if I can, though

Face it: Windoze still sucks, we'll still manually updated libs for
months to come, but better yet, we'll never have to pay Micros~1 another
cent.

Linux is still the shit.

- Scott

--
Never do Windows again with  |  Scott M. Nolde
Linux!  No streaks, haze or  |  smnoldelinux at mediaone.net
glaze!                       |
8:20pm up 7 min, 1 user, load average: 2.49, 1.29, 0.56