[ale] DSL - winfire says yes, bellsouth says no

Douglas Knudsen dtk at math.ufl.edu
Tue Oct 24 06:54:48 EDT 2000

I just moved to the Alpharetta area in June and have been spending large
amounts of time trying to figure this stuff out.  It seems different
companies, Covad, NorthPoint, etc.. have different databases of CO info.
One says ~13000 feet from the CO the other says ~15,000 feet for me.

Hellsouth says no way to DSL for me and unless you have a buddy that is a
Bellsouth technician, you will not know why they can't give you DSL, this
after many hours on the phone.

What I did do, I found a company(dsli.com) that said, 'yes, we can give you
DSL at 1.5 MB downhill speeds...'(I should sue them now!).  I said cool,
sign me up.  Two months go by and they finally tell me I have fiber in my
path to the CO.  Only thing I can get is IDSL at 144kbps.  Assuming they
were right, I now know why.  In short, it is a crapshoot at best, in my
experience.

Is all this crap causing lost business?  Check out cnet, technet, etc... you
will find recent articles on DSL companies losing tons of money.

Cheers!

-------
Douglas Knudsen
Alltel Information Services