[ale] linuxgruven.com

Fulton Green me at FultonGreen.com
Tue Oct 24 08:08:28 EDT 2000

This is way ON-topic, and here's my 1/50 $'s worth:

I just happened to whois linuxgruven.com, and it yields ... Chicago
Institute of Technology. So I tried a "reverse whois" on Chicago Institute
of Technology and got ... linuxgruven.com! Obviously, LinuxGruven.com is just
a front for a vocational school. The problem is that the vocational school
doesn't appear to have any legitimate Internet presence other than the
LinuxGruven thing. That $2500 up-front training fee now makes more sense.
They're surrepetitiously (sp?) registering students under the guise of "job
offer"! Try responding to the offer with "I'll work for $42.5K for a year,
with X raise after a year." Don't necessarily take the offer if they do
accede, though. But if they turn you down, that's more evidence for BBB,
WSB-TV, et. al.

Besides, Volkswagen may have something to say about the commercial usurping
of one of their ad campaigns. Or would it just be usurping that Grateful
Dead sticker? :)

OTOH, there are some legitimate companies offering somewhat-recognisable
Linux certification. Besides Red Hat, which has a Red Hat Certified
Engineer (RHCE) program, there's also the Linux Professional Institute
(www.lpi.org), which has sponsorship from Caldera, SuSE and Turbolinux, as
well as IBM and Linuxcare, among others.