[ale] linuxgruven.com

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. critter at wizvax.net
Tue Oct 24 06:51:13 EDT 2000

I have to say it has a similar odour to it of the "sweepstakes" where they
call you on the phone and tell you you've won and need to send $500 to
claim your cash prize of $5000.  I usually tell them to deduct it.  Funny,
no prizes have shown up.

If you get a call back from Linuxgruven, make them that offer, that you
will accept if they spread the training cost across the first year's pay
through payroll deduction.  They probably won't call you back.

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Wandered Inn wrote:

> James Kinney wrote:
> >
> > Run away screaming and call the BBB.
>
> Agreed.
>

> > No legit company is going to charge en employee an "upfront fee" for their
> > own training.
>
> Agreed.
>

> > It stinks of scam. They sell "training" with the potential that you can
> > land a $45K job afterwards.
>
> Agreed.  If they are willing to pay you $45k, then you're worth the cost
> of training to them.  Are they providing the training?  If not, who is?
>
> I've worked with HR folks for about 5 years now. These days, companies
> are paying signing bonuses, not taking money from new employees.  It's a
> scam.  If it's not a scam, you don't want to work for them anyway,
> because they don't have the right culture.  Training should be an
> investment in the employee, well worth THEIR money.
>

> > JimK
> > Local Net Solutions
> >
> > On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, jiin wrote:
> >
> > > I apologize for the off topic post. however I need some information about
> > > this company.
> > >
> > > I answered an ad in the AJC and had an interview with a company called
> > > linuxgruven.com today. Offices in Lennox Towers across from Lennox Mall. I
> > > spent two hours in the interview including a short written test. ( why
> > > weren't they at the ALS? )
> > >
> > > Their offer was very nice and I have no idea if I will be accepted or not
> > > until tommorow (tues.). The jist of the offer was this: 45k per year <entry
> > > level>, paid health insurance for the family including vision and dental,
> > > 401k and stock options before the IPO is released. The part that smells
> > > like it could be a scam is that they want me to pay $2500 dollars up front
> > > for a 4 week training course to get certified in linux. Not any one
> > > particular distro but "all major" distros. < the $2500 comes back after one
> > > year>. My thought is to sign a contract with them for a year and they pay
> > > the educational fees.
> > >
> > > On one hand, if it is legit it is pretty good for a 38 year old trying to
> > > change vocations into something he loves doing. Ironically I just spent
> > > $5000 to get MCSE certified because I became convinced that it was one of
> > > the few ways I could get my foot into the IT door. On the other hand it
> > > just smells a little fishy after thinking about it for a few hours.
> > >
> > > My OS of choice is linux without a doubt. However I can not afford to chase
> > > a pipe dream at this point in my life. Their web site is
> > > www.linuxgruven.com. If anyone has any info on the subject please let me know.
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > >
> > > jiin
> > >
> > > --

> Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
>
> "Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds.
> The
> latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to
> hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
> [...]

Critter at Wizvax.Net
131 days is too long to wait for Telocity and Verizon to hook up my DSL.