[ale] RedHat 7.0

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Fri Oct 20 09:50:15 EDT 2000

On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 09:29:33AM -0400, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> I'm kind of pushing away from the whole Red Hat strand because of things
> like this.  Any Linux distro ought to have everything - and I mean
> EVERYTHING - required to compile all the source code.  I mean, this is such
> a basic part of working with Linux; how can someone just ship a distro with
> something like this broken??  I know a Linux distro is a very complex thing,
> but doesn't anyone at Red Hat actually take a preproduction CD and do basic
> stuff like recompile the supplied kernel from the supplied source?

Everything on those redhat CDs was compiled from the SRPMs also on those
CDs.  Everything.

If you had bothered to read the release notes of both the kernel and
Redhat 7.0, you would clearly see that the kernel is only guaranteed to
compile with gcc 2.7.2.* and egcs-1.1*.

In fact, The Redhat 7.0 release notes clearly state this, and the
distro includes "kgcc" so you can compile your kernels.

> I'm no huge fan of Mandrake, but I hate to think that part of Mandrake's
> role is to put out a more QAed version of Red Hat.

The sad thing is that even to this day, Mandrake has shoddier QA than
RedHat.  There hasn't been much similarity between the development of the
two since Mandrake 6; they've long since become a full-fledged distro in
their own right.

 - Pizza
Solomon Peachy                                        pizza at cc.gatech.edu
I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent.                        +1(404)294-6978
Patience comes to those who wait.                            ICQ #1318344
    ...It's not "Beanbag Love", it's a "Transanimate Relationship"...