[ale] wu-ftp does not work on RedHat 6.2

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Wed Oct 18 12:45:21 EDT 2000

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Martin Nichols wrote:
> We recently installed wu-ftp on our RedHat 6.2 server. The version of wu-ftp is
> 2.6.1 and was installed from a tar package. The problem we are having is When
> we try to ftp to the server from inside our network it asks for the users
> password then returns a message that states login incorrect, could not open
> host (host name) user name and/or password was not accepted for login. We have
> tried this with various good users and ftp rejects them all. We can ssh to that
> server with the same user name and passwords and have no problem. The ftpaccess
> file is set for [class  all  real,guest,anonymous *]

Did you check the log files (daemon or secure) to see if it said anything
about why it failed?  Any number of things can cause wu-ftpd to refuse the
login and give that wonderful catch-all message.
Is the shell the user has in their password listed in /etc/shells?

You may have to up the debug level to find out what it is.