[ale] Looking For Constructive Help

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Wed Oct 18 09:16:54 EDT 2000

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 08:05:12AM -0400, Ryan Koutch wrote:
>     My next question is this.  I have a copy of RH 5.2  I saw in the
> stores that RH 7.x is out now.  Has anyone had any experience with
> version 7?  Unfortunately, I only have modem access to the Internet, so
> to d/l the images is out of the question.

OK, so am I the only person on the list to have a semi-positive experience
with RH7? But, I do still have issues with XFree 4.0 support and all those
funky warnings that GCC now generates. Even so, I'm currently running a
kernel compiled with it, so it can't be all THAT bad. But it may best to wait
for RH7.1, as their Red Hat Network update daemon had a severe memory leak
which has since been fixed in a subsequent package update. A general rule of
thumb seems to be to never buy a Red Hat release ending in ".0". I've also
noticed that the momentum in the Linux community seems to be leaning towards
the Debian distro, as VA Linux and the PocketLinux PDA project have adopted
it.

>     I read the how-to's at ldp as well as redhat but they don't seem to
> be current.

Anyone besides me notice that a fair amount of the HOWTOs are sadly out of
date? I was hoping to find something on the consequences of dual-booting
Linux with Windows Me, since WinMe took out real mode support, which would
adversely effect those of us still using LoadLin. I understand the HOWTO
staleness problem, though. Everyone's too busy creating the software to
write up how to use it. :)

>     I wouldn't mind some pointers to 'newbie' sites or other helpful
> links.  Doing the research doesn't bother me, I just don't where to
> start.  This seems to become overwhelming at times.

I really really like Linux.com. It's a great content aggregator, and it's
also visually appealing. You might also find the resources at
LinuxHardware.net to prove valuable to you as well.