[ale] Looking For Constructive Help

Jeffrey B Layton jeffrey.b.layton at lmco.com
Wed Oct 18 08:18:21 EDT 2000

Ryan Koutch wrote:

>     Hey y'all.  I've been 'dabbling' with linux off and on for a year or
> two now and want to get into converting 100%.  I am looking for advice
> on an AGP card as well as a sound card.  The rest of the system is set
> to go.  My ultimate goal would be to have vmware running with this to
> help ease the transition.  The m/b is based on the 440 bx set, so the
> AGP card would probably need to be an older version ( correct me if I am
> wrong ).  This setup is currently a PII 450 w 128 mb's.  Will that be
> enough to run vmware successfully or should this be upgraded to 256
> mb's?  Hard drives are not an issue.

First, definitely upgrade to 256 Megs. I don't have first hand
knowledge, but at the Atlanta Linux Showcase, the VMWare
guys recommended that I run with 256 Megs (PIII/500, 440BX
chipset).

As for AGP cards, do you want high performance 3D
graphics? Go to the XFree86 website (www.xfree86.org) and
see what cards they support for high performance 3D graphics
(I don't know which ones off the top of my head). Otherwise,
you could try commercial X servers (I know, I'm advocating
heresey here). XIG (www.xig.com) has some commercial
X servers for high-performance 3D that are pretty cheap for
most mainstream cards (it can get expensive for high end
cards).

>     My next question is this.  I have a copy of RH 5.2  I saw in the
> stores that RH 7.x is out now.  Has anyone had any experience with
> version 7?  Unfortunately, I only have modem access to the Internet, so
> to d/l the images is out of the question.

I would recommend upgrading to RH6.2 and wait for 7.1 to
come out. RH7.0 did some things that makes life very
interesting, so I would wait (I've heard rumors that RH7.1
will be out just after Christmas). You can buy CD-RWs
of the images from several places for just a few dollars.

>     I read the how-to's at ldp as well as redhat but they don't seem to
> be current.
>     I wouldn't mind some pointers to 'newbie' sites or other helpful
> links.  Doing the research doesn't bother me, I just don't where to
> start.  This seems to become overwhelming at times.

I would recommend staying a commercial book while
learning. Then use the HOWTOs when you are doing
something a little out of the norm. I'm sure there are
others out there who could recommend a good starter
book.

Good Luck,

Jeff Layton