[ale] gcc memory leak?

Wandered Inn esoteric at atlnet.com
Mon Oct 16 08:40:10 EDT 2000

Had a scary problem with a compile yesterday, and based on what
happened, I'd expect that there might be some kind of memory leak in
gcc.  I'm looking for some insights.  I'm running 2.95.2.  I was
compiling the latest version of sane, the scanner package.  When it got
to the point that it was compiling the final backend, umax scanner
stuff, I could see my memory usage quickly go up.  Once all the memory
was gone, then the swap usage began to climb.  The first time this
happened, I wasn't aware what caused it as I was running a number of
packages. I was too late to do anything about it and it locked my box
up.  After a hard reboot, I fired off the compile again and
intentionally kept an eye on the memory usage.  The problem is very
consistent.  I can kill the compile and the memory usage drops
dramatically.

My point is, a compiler shouldn't do this.  I would not expect when
attempting to compile a piece of code, that gcc could cause this kind of
problem.

Anyone else seen anything like this?  Comments?

Should I report this as a bug in gcc?

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein