[ale] slow ftp/telnet response

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Thu Oct 12 14:38:31 EDT 2000

> > I'm sure this has been discussed at some point but I would appreciate any
> > help regardless.  The issue is, when I connect to my Linux box with either
> > FTP or telnet, it takes about 60 seconds to respond.  Works fine after that,
> > and is very responsive -- that initial response just takes a while. Since I'm
> > upgrading to RH6.2 I'd like to fix this now ... any suggestions?

This will not make any sense from a technical perspective but it usually
works. Add the system you are connecting from to the hosts file on the
system you are connecting to. I've never taken the time to figure out what
causes this because I use ssh. I believe it has something to do with
reverse DNS being used for the tcpd logs but I haven't confirmed that, nor
do I intend to.

<soapbox> Use SSH and SCP whenever possible </soapbox>

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security