No Subject

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Thu Oct 12 11:16:41 EDT 2000

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 reji at sbc.edu.ph wrote:

> >You should use a port scanning utility like nmap or saint.
>
>       Where can i find this utility?

Like I said yesterday...

http://www.insecure.org/nmap/

Saint is probably not going to do what you want as it's a vulnerability
scanner that will probably give more info than you are looking for. If
you want to try it out, I have the latest source. There's a link to it
on the main page of my site. I strongly suggest that you read the man page
for netstat at least 3 times before spending the time playing with a port
scanner. You have to walk before you can run, and judging from your
questions regarding the hosts.allow/hosts.deny files...you're still
crawling. The files in question determine which hosts are allowed to
access the services provided by the inetd superserver (tcpwrappers). The
format is very simple and explained in the default files on most distros.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security