[ale] Various Rambling Linux Thoughts/Difficulties

Fulton Green me at FultonGreen.com
Mon Oct 9 23:40:22 EDT 2000

If I had to place a bet, I'd say that 7.1 would be coming out in January,
complete with an *optional* 2.4.X production kernel. Since the X at that
point will definitely be < 4, you might be better off waiting for 7.2, which
will probably have a relatively stable 2.4 kernel, integrated devfs support,
and maybe even version 3 of GCC. Not to mention the integration of Eazel's
Nautilus, and more robust office apps, for GNOME, as well as a version of
XFree 4.X.Y with tons of fixes to the bugs/"features" that currently exist
in 4.0.1.

And by the way, I'm not a Red Hat employee; I just play one on TV.

As far as doing a "fresh install", though (assuming you're going to start
from freshly formatted ext2 partitions), most likely the only problem you'll
encounter will be in configuring XFree, and if your graphics card uses a
relatively popular chipset, you should be alright. I'd heavily recommend
waiting at least one or two revs before using RH7 for corporate-level
services, though.