[ale] Explain Shell Script Behavior?

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Mon Oct 9 14:30:55 EDT 2000

> Maybe this was actually the normal sendmail deamon instance? If not,
> I don't know...

No, sendmail doesn't run as a daemon on this machine.  The only speculation
I could come up with is that when bash hits an "if" statement, perhaps it
preloads commands to be executed in RAM but only invokes them if that code
segment actually gets executed.

> Yes. Cron always mails all output from commands to the owner of the
> crontab file, so if you don't want that you have to redirect the
> output somewhere.

OK, that would explain a lot except that I'm pretty sure that crontab is
owned by root.  Do you perhaps mean that cron mails output of a job to the
owner of the job ("jhubbs" in this case)?

- Jeff