[ale] AT&T Broadbrand and Linux

Chris Egolf cegolf at ugholf.net
Sun Oct 8 11:12:07 EDT 2000

Just wondering if anyone else one this list has had problems w/ the
MediaOne/AT&T Broadband service in regards to DHCP.  I've had the
service for close to 6 months and I know of others that have had it for
more than a year.  Even though we knew we were getting a dynamic IP
through DHCP, if you had to bring the machine down or simply reboot it,
chances were good that you'd get the same IP number...some people had
the same one for over a year, even though it was 'dynamic'.

Recently however, everytime I've had to reboot, my IP # has changed.
Others I know have had the same problem.  Since I need to access my
machine remotely, I've stopped doing this -- no more kernel upgrades I
guess.  My understanding w/ DHCP is that you are supposed to get the
same IP again if it's still available.  I find it hard to believe that
when my IP address is released during a reboot that it's distributed to
someone else in that short amount of time.  Has anyone else experienced
this or have an explanation?

Slightly OT, with this problem, I've been wondering about using some
sort of dynamic DNS service.  I've seen various different ones -- some
free, others that were fee based.  Has anyone on the list had good luck
using any of these?

Thanks.
                               Chris Egolf
             http://www.ugholf.net     cegolf at ugholf.net