[ale] AT&T Broadbrand and Linux

Chris Woodruff cwoodruff at worldwindtech.com
Thu Oct 5 11:33:07 EDT 2000

I thought I would share my experiences with the list.  I had a cable
modem installed from AT&T (formerly MediaOne) on Tuesday.  The tech got
it running with Win98 and it was simple.  Loaded up a win32 firewall app
and was enjoying speeds up to 1100k.  I was told that next month AT&T
will be doubling the bandwidths on the network to 3000k from 1500k.  So
then I went to work with getting Linux to work with the cable modem.  I
was using RH 6.2 but couldn't get the system to find my new ethernet
card.  So I downloaded the RH 7 iso's (thanks to the person at GaTech
for the mirror), burned the CD's and reinstalled.  I was amazed to find
that after the install everything was working correctly.  I have to
recommend AT&T broadband.  They seem to have really corrected the issues
that MediaOne had.

My question is now about security.  What services do I shutdown to
secure my system to stop any havoc from the outside?  I have shutdown
sendmail and httpd.  Does anyone know of a good security site that will
help?

Thanks

Chris Woodruff