[ale] RealAudio on linux; distro reccomendations

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Wed Oct 4 17:14:54 EDT 2000

Joe -

I worked with NT and lesser Windows almost exclusively from 1995-1998 and
although I had messed w/ Linux most non-seriously during that time, I didn't
start pursuing Linux in earnest until Fall 1998.  I am now roughly evenly
split.

I suppose that first and foremost your friend needs to understand that LINUX
IS DIFFERENT.  I feel that Linux rewards hard work and study in ways and to
a degree that NT cannot.  The recommendation to use Linux is probably sound,
however, unless cost or some other factor takes priority, then he probably
ought to take the path where he has the greater comfort level.  About a year
and a half ago, I needed to create a server environment for a bunch of NT
workstations and at that time, I had a better comfort level with NT than I
did Linux/Samba, so I went NT.  Today, I'd probably go Linux/Samba because
my comfort level there has gotten to the point that I feel I can reap Linux'
benefits without worrying about not really knowing what I'm doing.  Your
friend should continue learning Linux in any case!

Red Hat or Caldera are two suggestions for distros for him to work from.

- Jeff