[ale] RealAudio on linux; distro reccomendations

Joe Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 4 15:38:38 EDT 2000

Hi folks,

I just got a call from a co-worker who's setting up a
live video streaming server for a client, based on
Real.com products (RealProducer, RealPlayer etc.). I
don't know much of the details, but he talked to the
people at Real.com, and they recommended he go with
a Linux server rather than NT for stability reasons. Cool.

But Mark, my co-worker, has zero Linux knowledge, though
he knows his way around NT fairly well. His first question
to me was, "About Linux: how easy is it?" Then he told me
he'd picked up a Linux "Teach Yourself" kind of book
at a local drugstore (this is in NYC...), and it came
with a Red Hat CD.

I have no idea how to answer that question. I mean, if
you have no *nix experience at all, you can still probably
get a Red Hat box going in a couple hours, but then what?

So has anyone on the list jumped from a Windows-only
background into Linux recently? What kind of experience
was that?

Finally, what do y'all think would be the best distro
for someone in that situation? (I know Slackware is right
out, but it's the only one I have much experience with.)

Thanks,
-- Joe

--
*** Joseph Knapka ***
In any formula, constants (especially those obtained from handbooks)