[ale] String editing using the shell (/bin/sh)

Kenneth W Cochran kwc at world.std.com
Thu Nov 30 15:44:08 EST 2000

Hi,

I'm trying to rename files using shell scripting (/bin/sh).
How do I "edit" the "name?"

As examples, I'd like to be able to do:
1.  a "prefix substitution"  (Is there a shell feature that
    will allow this?)  I can do a "prefix chop" using
    ${p#w}, but how about a substitution?
2.  an "in the middle" substitution  (sed?)
3.  a "suffix substitution"  (same as #1, but on the
    "other" end)  I can do a "suffix chop" using ${p%w},
    but, as in (1.) how might I do a substitute?

Btw, any good shell programming book references?  My 1990
Kochan & Wood 2nd ed seems rather old nowadays... :)

Thanks,

-kc