[ale] Sendmail problems on RedHat 7

Bradley Leonard bradley at stygianresearch.com
Thu Nov 30 13:14:15 EST 2000

> I just setup a new RedHat 7 server and used most of the config files
> from my 6.2
>servers. I've used these configs for a long time with no problems. Now
>in 7, I'm
> getting these error messages and can't figure out what is happening.
> Inside one
> of the messages it says something about /var/log/sa/sa27 directory not
> found. The
>sa27 changes to sa28 sa29 or whatever. Some of those directories exist,
>but still
> the error. What is supposed to create those directories?

The sa errors are actually part of system monitor package, sysstat.  The
errors are being generated due to a daily cron entry located
in /etc/crontab:

  5 19 * * * root /usr/lib/sa/sa2 -A &

What this does it generate a text file based on data file.  What redhat
shipped only generates that datafile on the weekends.  Therefore you won't
get errors on saturday and sunday.  I removed that entry and I added the
following entry to /etc/crontab:

  0 * * * * root /usr/lib/sa/sa1 600 6 &

This will generate the data file and update it 6 times every 10 minutes and
runs every hour.

The sa files are located in /var/log/sa.  The number represents the day of
the month.  The sa files are data and the sar files are the converted text
file.

Hope this helps.

BL

--
Bradley Leonard     (bradley at stygianresearch.com)
Stygian Research    (http://stygianresearch.com)

Life is simple.  We make it complicated.