[ale] an aside - mathematics for programming

dtk doug at cubicleman.com
Wed Nov 29 23:45:58 EST 2000

Ok.  I'm late, but I had to put my two.five cents in.  Take it all!  But
then I was a math major myself and being a teacher I heard this type of
question daily.  For intense sci-fi programming, you are going to need it.
For some of the classical programming problems you run into in a BA/BS in
CS, some of it is needed.  I.E. the Euclidian algorithm, Nyquist's Laws,
etc. For much of the day to day stuff you most likely won't use much more
than basic arithmetic, which is all college algebra really is.( I hear
people choking on that one! )  For problem solving skills, issues, and
confidence you will use all of it.  On top of all that, it is traditional to
require science majors take Calc and Physics.

In ref to the cryptography stuff, most of this uses some far out abstract
algebra and number theory which you usually don't see unless your doing a
PhD in Math or CS.  I ran across some in masters level courses.  Anyone hear
of quantum cryptography?  This shit is far out needing some heavy
probability theory and physics.

Just my $0.025....

cheers!
doug