[ale] 'Nother Question: Starting 'eth0' Automagically

Eric Z. Ayers eric.ayers at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 29 23:21:04 EST 2000

jmmills at avana.net writes:

 > Hello, ALErs -
 >
 > Thanks to advice here (esp. Jim Philips), I can now
 > start up 'eth0' through my LinkSys/tulip NIC using a new
 > version of 'tulip.c' and also 'pci-scan.c'. Dependencies
 > of 'tulip.o' on 'pci-scan.o' seem properly reflected in
 > 'modules.dep', both objects built fine and are now in
 > /lib/modules-<ver>/net/, and I appear to have a viable
 > interface description set up through RH6.2's
 > 'control-panel' and 'linuxconf'. Happy 'pings' and
 > Netscraping are now possible (but mail is still balky).
 >
 > _However_ I must start the interface manually, e.g.:
 > 1) # insmod /<dah-dah>/pri-scan
 > 2) # insmod /<dah-dah>/tulip
 > 3) select and activate 'eth0' with 'control-panel'
 >
 > How can I get this to work properly at boot? I think
 > from init messages that 'pri-scan' is not inserted
 > automagically, thus 'tulip' fails to load. I know 'eth0'
 > initialization reports as 'FAILED'.

John,

Check  /etc/modules.conf and make sure that you have the line:

alias eth0 tulip

If that is OK, you might try adding the line:
below tulip pci-scan

And make sure that /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 is
configured propery and has the line:

ONBOOT=yes

 > _Aside_: I find in RH6.2 that 'dmesg' essentially
 > returns a trash listing of supposed disk changes, and
 > the real messages end up in '/var/log/messages' - is
 > there a way to make 'dmesg' useful again?

'dmesg' prints out the last so many messages from the kernel ring
buffer.  It just  so happens that most of the time, these are just
boot messages.  If you have a system up for a long time, the boot
messages almost always scroll out, so I  wouldn't say that 'dmesg' is
broken.  I don't know of how to make it just print the boot messages.