[ale] max number of processes

Marc Vogt mtv at theor.chemistry.gatech.edu
Wed Nov 29 18:17:00 EST 2000

> That's weird, because we routinely get a lot better uptime than that!
> Maybe a bug in the particular Kernel rev you are running (I've never
> heard of it)?    Try ls /proc and see how many directories are there
> with numbers and compare it to the output of 'ps auxww' and see if
> maybe there aren't some discrepencies.

After closer inspection I noticed a swarm of in.identd processes
were taking over my computer.  This is apparently a common problem with
the in.identd that Caldera uses.  I had commented the auth line
out of inetd.conf in the past but had forgotten after my upgrade
a long time ago and have been suffering from this problem since.
So I now killed all the in.identd processes, recommented out the auth
line and restarted inetd.
I should be able to stay up for very long times now.

thanks
Marc