[ale] RH6.2 Net Setup Question

jmmills at avana.net jmmills at avana.net
Mon Nov 27 10:05:38 EST 2000

Hello -

I recently set up a RH6.2 box, essentially as an
out-of-the-box workstation. I did not set up ethernet
support, but have been using dialup PPP until yesterday.

I tried using the RH 'control-panel' and 'linuxconf' to
set up the interface, but do not seem to be finding the
NIC and/or driver module successfully. The card is a
PCI LinkSys 100(ne?), a cheapie from Office Depot which
I understood to use the 'tulip' driver.

When I attempted to set up and activate 'eth0' with
'control-panel', I got a message to the effect of:
"Activation of eth0 delayed" - reboot and 'linuxconf'
attempts got the same response. Attempts to manually run
'modprobe' and 'insmod' on 'tulip.o' drew conflicting
and 'modprobe' shows nothing associated with my NIC
card.

The BIOS boot appears to find the card, but for some
reason seems to assign the same PCI interrupt to several
devices.

Also, in the setup I was not clear on the correct entry
for 'network address' (not, I think, my IP). If my
[static] IP address is: "1.2.3.4", my router is:
"1.2.3.1", and my netmask is: "255.255.255.0", should my
'network address' be: "1.2.3.0"?

I installed RH6.1 and RH.2 on two systems which were on
the net at installation, and both those went fine. If I
could just re-run the part of RH6.2's installation which
sets up the net, that might be worth a try - how sould I
invoke that?

Sorry for any mis-transcriptions - I am not at the
system at the moment. Sorry also if this message
includes HTML - it's going out through my ISP's
browser-based e-mail utility.

A colleague also set up a RH6.2 system with a completely
different card ('ne' driver, DHCP, and ISA address
space) and is getting the same type message trying to
set up the interface on that unit, so I suppose there is
something we're both missing.

Thanks for any suggestions.
 - John Mills