[ale] Re: running X in a telnet session

Maxie Zeus maxiez at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 27 00:31:26 EST 2000

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000, Andrew Dwight Dixon wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm using telnet to log into my desktop machine from my laptop and
> I would like to be able to run an application on the desktop machine and
> have the display be on the laptop.  After loging into the desktop and
> switching the DISPLAY variable:
>
>     >export DISPLAY="192.168.1.2:0.0"
>
> I get this error message when I try to run a program:
>
> Xlib: connection to "192.168.1.2:0.0" refused by server
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> Application initialization failed: couldn't connect to display
> "192.168.1.2:0.0"
>
> Any ideas?
>
> thanks,
> Andy

couple of issues here:

issue #1
Daniel is right dont use telnet.  use either ssh1 or 2.  if you are on a local
network that is completly secure (ie not on a school campus or buisness), its
ok to telnet.  However Id assume you are allowing internet connections to your
desktop, in that case definetly switch to ssh.  If ssh is configured properly
it will automatically export your display, making it easier on you

issue #2
you dont need to use ssh to export your display to your laptop.  All that you
have to do is set the display on the desktop to point to your laptop, and then
xhost on your laptop.  to xhost on your laptop, execute the following command
on the laptop:  xhost 192.168.1.1
(assuming 1.1 is the desktop)

--
Maxie Zeus