[ale] sparc20 questions

Dave Brooks db at amorphous.org
Sun Nov 26 16:20:46 EST 2000

Bring the machine to the "{ok}" prompt, and issue a 'boot -S' command.  That
should boot the machin into single-user.  If it's already booted into the
OS, you can use Stop-A to bring it to the {ok} prompt.

Solaris == SunOS > 5.5.  If the machine reports that the OS version is
"SunOS 5.6", that means it's running Solaris 2.6.  SunOS 5.7 refers to
Solaris 2.7 (also referred to as Solaris 7) and SunOS 5.8 refers to Solaris
2.8 (Solaris 8).  It's kinda crazy.

Does your friend have any more ss20's?  I'd love to have another to play
around with.

Good luck!
Dave

Thus spake David S. Jackson,
>I have a friend who acquired a sparcstation 20.  when it boots
>up, it tries to do some rpc mounts and some other stuff from its
>previous network connection.  But none of that is connected
>anylonger.  Is there any way to interrupt its boot process and
>make it go into single user mode?  Of course, I don't have a root
>password, but is it possible to make a new one without having
>known the previous one?
>
>Wish I knew more about sparcstations and solaris (which I'm
>pretty sure this is--or maybe it's Sun OS?).
>
>TIA.
>
>--
>David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net

david anthony brooks