[ale] Re: your mail

Ben Phillips pynk at angband.org
Wed Nov 22 16:33:50 EST 2000

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Martin Nichols wrote:

> I am trying to write a backup script to be run automatically with cron. I can
> find very lmited info but on Red Hat 6.2 would you place the script in
> /var/spool/cron?

Nah, you want to put it someplace like /usr/local/bin (or I usually make a
directory called /usr/script and add it to my path so my scripts don't get
mixed up with a bunch of surly binaries).  Then run crontab -e and it'll
drop you in its favorite editor (vi, in all likelihood) so you can add the
job there.  (Do a 'man 5 crontab').

Or, I guess the canon Red Hat Way would be to just stick the darn thing in
/etc/cron.daily or /etc/cron.weekly (making sure you give it executable
permission, of course).

                      __   _                 "I hate to advocate drugs,
Ben Phillips         /  '_' )         ,,,     alcohol, violence or
pynk at angband.org     |  | ()|||||||||[:::)    insanity, but they've
                     \__.-._)         '''     always worked for me."
		                                 -- Hunter S. Thompson