[ale] an aside - mathematics for programming

Agent Durga durga at burntmedia.org
Tue Nov 21 05:08:01 EST 2000

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, BG HEAD wrote:

> And
> everywhere I look, people are saying that Math is an
> important part of Computer Science training.

-i've spent a little more than my share of college time at georgia tech
attempting to get a computer science degree (i've gotten all but 2 or 3
math classes out of the way now, however i have to retake the C
programming class when i return before i can continue down the path to
getting a degree)...i know i use to hate the concept of all the math and
related theory classes (more logic and proofs than anything else) but
after taking the calculus 3 for CS class it all started to make sense for
me....it's probably hinged on the fact that I'd ideally like to program 3D
graphics, and the class taught me how to use matrix math to do vector
translations and calculate "shadows" (when the sun is directly above by
default, but it's just a few more calculations to translate the points to
being more realistic)....so it may or may not apply to you...

> Even
> today on CNN.com in the story about Russian hackers,
> they say that math is CORE to hacking ability.

i missed that story, but one of the theory and proofs classes I took at
tech covered encription and the algorithms used to do it (public and
private keys, etc)....I would image that hackers do use math quite a bit
when hacking servers...

> 1. In my two years of programming, I've not run across
> a problem that really required any high-level
> mathematical concepts to solve.  What then, is the
> reason for the intensive math classes (i.e., algebra,
> calculus, geometry, etc.)?  When will classes like
> these come into play.

David Dagon showed me a web page one day at tech that was at brown
university i think that was using java to demonstrate some pretty cool
math...maybe he'd be kind enough to post that URL as i've lost the
bookmark to the page.....math seems to enter into just about everything
when working with a computer, and the more advanced things i've thought
about doing require even more math then just solving a standard algebra
equation...<shrug>

> 2. If you agree that math is indeed necessary, what
> classes are ABSOLUTELY essential to be a successful
> and effective programmer at all levels?  What would
> you recommend that I take?

at all levels is kind of hard to say because of
"specializations"...someone that wants to model real world physics is
going to need a much more in depth knowledge of physics and calculus where
as someone who wants to focus on networks probably doesn't need quite as
much math (and deffinitely less physics <grin>).....you can always take a
look at georgia tech's coc website and see what is required as a core for
all cs majors....

> 3. Does anyone know of a general book that cover most
> of the math a typical programmer would need?

now there i can't help ya....a book on algebra, geometry, and possibly a
general calculus book would probably be a wise investment....

hope some of that helps...

-drew

--
   The best book on programming for the layman is "Alice in Wonderland";
     but that's because it's the best book on anything for the layman.