[ale] NFS & pcnfsd

Frank Zamenski fzamenski at voyager.net
Tue Nov 21 06:39:46 EST 2000

My apologies, this is not Linux specific but *nix general, and I know there
are some old (and even not so old! :) Unix vets out there.

Anyone ever use pcnfsd on a Unix box? As I understand it, historically
pcnfsd allowed a DOS PC to map a drive letter to an NFS shared fs on
the Unix server. These days, a Win 9x/NT PC client runs something like
Hummingbird Exceed or Netmanage Chameleon NFS client services, it
then maps the Unix fs to the usual drive letter (after login validation).
I'm
trying out both of these client packages at work; the test PC properly sees
the Unix fs's in Net 'Hood. From Win Explorer, I choose map, then get
prompted for server logon and passwd. Logon attempt seems to be working
as perhaps ten or so seconds pass, but then passwd always errors out (both
client pgms), something to the effect of invalid passwd.

Now, to maybe further complicate matters, the Unix server is an NIS client.
However, I also tested a non-NIS local logon on the Solaris server too, with
same failed results. I can give more details if  required.

Could I be missing a file on the Solaris server to allow specific PC clients
access to the NFS shares? This is inside the DMZ, on a 192.168.100
private internal network.

I've read somewhere in passing that pcnfsd is falling out of favor for
Samba,
but that's not an option here as the company, like many, fears freeware. And
eventually an end user must be able to use this transparently, and they'll
already
be familiar with Chameleon.

(Actually, to bring this back to Linux also, is pcnfsd available for Linux
too?)

Thanks much.
fgz