[ale] Stupid user tricks when building a new kernel...

Eric_Brubakken at aoncons.com Eric_Brubakken at aoncons.com
Mon Nov 20 08:15:05 EST 2000

Yesterday I attempted to build an new kernel on my pc that is running RH6.1.   I
have built kernels before, but yesterday I did something wrong during the build.
After going through the build process and rebooting I am getting these errors:

Using LILO for booting

new kernel -
     Error: kernel is wrong compression

     - System Halted

Booting with the Old kernel -

     Error 0X01 ( seems to be in some type of loop - just keep repeating Error
0X01)

When I try running my boot disk I get these errors -

     VFS: Cannot open root device 08:32

     Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 8:32

     then the system hangs

If I use the boot/install disk using

     boot: linux rescue

     The system will boot me to a bash# prompt.  I am able to find all my files
     and such, but I can't execute any binary files i.e. - I can't even run vi.

Since I wasn't getting anywhere with the above, I decieded to try and install
RH7.0.  I got a few minutes into the install process and the Install program
informed me that one of the devices was not unmounted cleanly and to reboot my
old OS.  Isn't that special....

Not getting anywhere with anything, I then tried to 'upgrade' my RH6.1 with
RH6.1 to see if this could cure my problem.  Well the upgrade seemed to work,
but when the system rebooted LIFO starts by then hangs when the third letter of
LIFO i.e. LIL

So with my limited experience I am not sure just how to proceed from here.  I
did back up files during the build process, but I am not sure I got everything
backed up correctly.  Am I completely hosed or is there something that can be
done?  Would I be able to upgrade to 7.0 without loosing any of my init scripts
- firewall, samba and such?

Thanks for your time

Eric