[ale] Printing VIA smb

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Thu Nov 16 13:42:20 EST 2000

"Robert L. Harris" wrote:

> Ok,
>   I have samba enabled, etc.  I'm trying to print to a printer named
> "fiery".  I'm not having any luck so I want to start with a short
> step by step howto that is very to the point.  Does anyone have
> anything like this?  No theory, just straight commands?  I dont have
> time to play and don't want to boot back to windows to do this project.

Try this first, to make sure you've got Samba working:

date | smbclient service -c "print -"

where service is the shared printer.  For example, I've got a printer
called hp shared from a windows box named 'lousyos' :) .  So I would
execute this:

date | smbclient '//lousyos/hp' -c "print -"

Don't forget the quotes.

If that works, then tell us what dist your running, because setting the
remote printer is different from one dist to the next.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein