[ale] Laptops and Printers

Kyle Beckman flachebaq at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 16 12:05:21 EST 2000

The unnamed local University that provides me, for a modest $300 per
semester fee, with a "powerful multimedia notebook computer" (quoting their
own literature -- P166, 32MB RAM, 1GB HDD, Win95... mine's slightly better
because I've taken the Unix classes) is in the process of changing policy
for the laptops we're provided with.  My desktop's motherboard is going bad
(long story) and I'm in the market for a new computer and I'm shopping for a
laptop.  PLEASE do not escalate this into a laptop vs. desktop debate!!!
I'm in the market for a laptop, not a desktop.

I already know what specs I want, I'm really just brand/price shopping right
now.  I will be dual booting between Windows and Linux, so I need a system
that will be friendly with Linux.  We've got quite a few people with Dell
Latitude 3800's where I work and they are very happy with them.  I'm open to
suggestions.

I'm also going to be getting a printer and I was wondering if there are any
good inkjet printers out there that will play well with Linux.  My current
printer is past its prime and won't even print in color under Linux.

Thanks!

~~Kyle Beckman