[ale] article

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Nov 15 14:03:40 EST 2000

Just a few quick comments.

1) I think there's too much emphesis on the package managers/dependancy
issue. While I think it's important, overemphesis misses the point.

2) You need to point out Slack's scripts for configuring stuff. Items like
netconfig, pppsetup, and the others are helpful in configuring stuff.

3) Point out that slack is near the top of the heap in terms of facilities
offered. 7.1 has the 2.2.16 kernel, a pre 2.0 KDE, and the latest glibc.

4) Slack's consistency is one of its biggest advantages. Slack 7.1 has
much the same look/feel that Slack 2.3 had 5 years ago. Therefore expertise
gained in administering Slack carries over instead of being changed willy
nilly from release to release.

5) Slack will do RPM's especially when --nodeps is set.

Hope this helps,

BAJ (a nearly exclusive Slackware user)