[ale] Partition Recommendation for Server

Bob bob at cavu.com
Mon Nov 13 10:49:34 EST 2000

> I have a 30GB IDE drive and have found few recommendations on how to
> optimally partition this drive for a custom server installation (file &
> print server, web server, sql server, mail server). Could someone recommend
> a scheme with sizes and mount points for me?

1. Don't use RH 7.  It has lots of problems.  Use 6.2 and apply the security
   patches or go with Slackware 7.1.

2. Create three 15 MB (M, not G) partitions for your /boot dir, your backup
   one, and a third for experimenting with upgrades.

3. Create your last "real" partition as an extended one to cover the rest
   of the disk.

4. Create multiple partitions under this extended partition.  Make the first
   partition your swap partition.  A rule of thumb is make it twice the
   size of your actual RAM.  (I'm pretty sure you can have swap space in
   an extented partion but I've not tried it.)

   There are many ways to partition.  One possibility would be three more
   7GB partitions (to associate with your three boot partitions) and make
   the fourth one have the rest of the disk.  This fourth one could be
   for MPEGs or other future use.

   If you later need more space for your primary (main use) system, you can
   delete the later partitions and create a single large one.

   A good way to backup is to boot single-user and simply use dd to copy
   your /boot and / partitions to the backup ones on the disk.  This protects
   you against all but a disk crash (or a cracker breaking in and formatting
   your disk).

> The system will have Red Hat 7 as its only OS.

> Thanks.

> JOHN H. STEPHENSON
> Roswell, GA

Bob Toxen
bob at cavu.com
transam at cavu.com                       [Bob's ALE Bulk email]
http://www.cavu.com
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com/ [My new book: Real World Linux Security]
http://www.cavu.com/sunset.html        [Sunset Computer]
Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.      "Don't go with a fly-by-night outfit!"
Quality Linux & UNIX security and software consulting since 1990.

GPG Public key available at http://www.cavu.com/pubkey.txt (book at cavu.com)
pub  1024D/E3A1C540 2000-06-21 Bob Toxen <book at cavu.com>
     Key fingerprint = 30BA AA0A 31DD B68B 47C9  601E 96D3 533D E3A1 C540
sub  2048g/03FFCCB9 2000-06-21