[ale] ftp login problems

Chuck Mattern cmattern at mediaone.net
Sun Nov 12 09:47:16 EST 2000

You don't way what id you are using to make the ftp connection but the first
place I'd look would be the /etc/ftpusers file.  Any id listed in there is NOT
allowed to log in via ftp.  It tells you:

530 Login incorrect.

Because that is less obvious than "root can't log in here try to hack another
password" when someone is trying to compromise thae machine.  If the problem
is not found here you might also check these other files in /etc but I think
they give different messages when they bite you:

 ftpaccess
ftpgroups
ftphosts

Since you can rsh you can skip these files:

hosts.allow
hosts.deny

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Chuck