[ale] [OT]Random thoughts and questions from a printer

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Fri Nov 10 12:16:59 EST 2000

I've known for some time now, that having paid hard cash for repairing my
HPIIP, I really should consider putting it back into service. Since I've
added an inkjet to cover the hole left while the laser was being repaired,
I probably need to add a paralell port to the desktop/server on my desk. I
started thinking about that yesterday.

The whole concept of what is on my desk is starting to get
ugly. There are too many wires/cables. Consider that the inkjet
takes two cables, the computer case takes 6 cables (power, modem, mouse,
keyboard, speakers, 2nics), the hub contributes 4, the dsl router adds two
more, and the 17" moniter yet another pair. And I would like to add two
more for a printer, and a serial link to the UPS, and an old scsi flatbed
scanner with two cables?? I find that I question my own sanity. Yes I know
about cable ties and such, and do work periodically on cleaning the nest
up, but fundamentally it is a mess at best. And cleaning up some of the
mess by putting it on another machine seems unlikely as I need this to be
both server for the home and desktop.

So much for an observation/bitch. Our computers create too much clutter
once you attempt utilize their potiential.

There is something which I can ask the group to brainstorm if they will. I
do want to put that HPIIP back into service, and I'm just a little unsure
of the best way to do so. Not only does the desk look like a nest for
rats, inside the case isn't any better. There are no pci/isa slots left
open, and the only way I see to open one is to combine the two network
interfaces onto one card (which I haven't seen in the flesh, although I
know they exist). I suspect that there is a way to utilize the printer
without making the desk clutter appreciably worse, overloading circuits,
or just purchasing a whole new computer. Perhaps running the printer from
the network and just spooling from the server?

I'll admit a bias against using switch boxes as I will normally forget to
reset the switch when I'm through, which confuses _everything_. (I leave
the inkjet on 24/7 so my children have simple access for printing school
work and such.)

The harder I work, the luckier I get.
                    Lee Iacocca
Thompson Freeman          tfreeman at intel.digichem.net