[ale] Optimal Name Resolution Setup in Mixed Environment

SanMillan, Todd tis3 at cdc.gov
Wed Nov 8 17:01:05 EST 2000

There are a couple of ways to skin that cat...
1) add an NT DNS server and tell it to do WINS lookups for anything not in
the DNS.  You can make it primary for a domain called something like
wins.company.com (unfortunately WINS is a flat namespace, not hierarchical
like DNS, may or may not be a issue for y'all).  This would find all the
DHCP clients as well as the servers that the NT guys didn't add to DNS.

2) use the Win2000 DHCP server and tell it to update the DNS when it hands
out an address.  The DNS server has to allow dynamic updates.  I know the
later releases of BIND (post 8.2 IIRC) handle DDNS (dynamic DNS) as well as
the Win2000 DNS server, but I haven't had a chance to test the
interoperability.  This would only find the  DHCP clients, but you can put
the servers on DHCP and assign them reserved IP addresses, so it never
changes.

3) upgrade every single windows machine to Win2000 and have them update the
DNS themselves.  Again you need a DDNS server.  This would find all the
Win2000 machines

4) Samba has WINS support, in fact, you can run a WINS server on a Samba
machine.  You can just have all the Linux machines run Samba and register
with the WINS server and do lookups for windows machines. Take a look at
nmbd and nmblookup.  This would find all the WinX machines.